Monday, June 4, 2012

Le Batard offers good advice



Olivia Lewis

I am often told that I have the look of a deer in the headlights, even when I know exactly what is going on. My attention to detail has always been lacking. It’s not that I don’t pay attention, it’s more that I’m just not observant of the little things, which has truly smacked me in the face this week in our Sports Journalism Institute boot camp at the University of Missouri.
For example, every morning I dread the upcoming sports checks. I have downloaded at least five more news source apps to my phone since I landed in St. Louis last Friday. Scouring through as many articles as I can get my hands on, I still seem to miss things and I’m realizing it’s my lack of attention to detail. While I’m looking at the employees of Shakespeare’s Pizza on the campus of Mizzou, instructor Sandy Rosenbush is standing off to the side, looking at a T-shirt that tells when the restaurant was founded.
But I’m working on it. In our chat Monday afternoon with Dave Le Batard, who writes a weekly column for the Miami Herald and hosts a show (“Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable) for ESPN, he told us that as he was moving up, he learned by failing. I guess I must have learned a lot so far working with SJI.

No comments:

Post a Comment