Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gumppppppp!!!!


Mariah Baylor

Today I discovered that I have more in common with my Sports Journalism Institute classmates and editors than I thought. What iconic measure brought myself, classmate RJ Young, and NABJ President Greg Lee together? Forrest Gump!
On the walk back to Mizzou’s journalism school after our dinner at Noodles and Company, I was involved in a hilarious rehearsal of Gump quotes such as “me and Jenny was like peas and carrots” that had me practically in tears.
Forrest Gump came out in 1994 when I was hardly old enough to understand the humor. But I’ve watched it over and over as I’ve grown. Tom Hanks’ character never ceases to have me weak with laughter.

Private Gump

The movie depicts several decades in the life of Forrest Gump, a slow-witted man from Greenbow, Alabama who witnesses and influences some of the defining events of the 20th century.
The rehearsal was a heartwarming and an abdominally taxing exercise. And although I’m sure ESPN New York’s Executive Editor Leon Carter might not have enjoyed all of my “hee hee and kee kee.”
I’m sure he’d be glad that I can look back on my week at SJI as both a helpful and wonderfully memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment