Thursday, June 7, 2012

Information is Key

Even before my stint at the Sports Journalism Institute, I've always been interested in column writing. The freedom of it, the freedom of expression is something you can only really find in..well...blogs. I always knew one thing though, I had to earn my right to speak. 

I learned from sportswriter and on-air personality Bryan Burwell today that information is what separates a blogger from a columnist. He told us that when we are informed, we can't be intimidated.

"You can smoke anyone once you gain that knowledge," Burwell said. 
  
I believe that, and I plan to gain that knowledge. My MLB TV account will be reactivated. ESPN will be my homepage, and I WILL finish those baseball books I bought. Burwell told me that the best way to gain the knowledge I need is to totally immerse myself in it.

Pretty common sense advice when you actually think about it. Even though it intrigues me, I wouldn't even think of doing any column writing until I gain that intuitive knowledge I need. That will only come with hard work and practice. After that, who knows? Maybe I can start spouting out my opinions. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment