Friday, June 8, 2012

I’ll Have Another lesson


Olivia Lewis
As a sports fan I have always enjoyed a good competition. That being said, before SJI I did not know anything about horse racing, except that they run. But the anticipation and build-up of the possibility of a Triple Crown for the first time in 34 years this weekend sparked my interest. Now that the infamous I’ll Have Another is out of the Belmont Races because of a left leg tendon injury, I’m back to not knowing much about the sport.
If I were sent on an assignment involving a horse race, I would have to do a lot of background work before heading to the race. When St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell visited the SJI class earlier this week, he shared his first experience covering an equine event. I learned a lot from his chat. Specifically, he said to find the story. Just because I may not know everything about horse racing right now, that doesn’t mean I can’t learn and build my way up. There is still a story to be found whether I understand everything that’s happening or not. I have to work my way up, and being observant will help me find a story that other reporters might be quick to overlook.


No comments:

Post a Comment