Friday, June 8, 2012

I got it.

Mr. Carter told us from Day One of SJI that some of us will get it, some of us will get it later and some of us will never get it.

I never really understood what "it" was, but I also knew that I was that person who usually gets "it" later. And it's true. I got it, later. 

There are 11 of us in the 20th class of SJI, including three instructors. Mr. Carter told us in the beginning of the week to take a look around the classroom and embrace the diversity because it will be the most diversity we will see. Sandy Rosenbush told us we're entering into a family. 

"Not true," I thought. I've been in diverse settings in college classrooms, churches, study groups and sports teams. After graduating college, I think I know who my real family is. 

But as the week went on, I reflected on my previous internship. 

I was interning in the corporate world for five months and realized how much I had to adjust to the culture of my working environment. I kept brushing off the fact that part of it had to do with me being the only Asian-American in my intern class and one of the few in the office building. The way I was raised, the lessons and values I learned growing up were different than my peers. 

It took SJI and a few "hehe's and haha's," plenty of "QUESTION NUMBER ONE's!" as well as the threats of "U-Haul's" for me to get it. I saw how this diverse group of aspiring journalists handled the pressure. 

We all knew why we were here. We all knew why they didn't have to call any U-Hauls. And we'll all remember this family as we disperse throughout the nation. 

Guys, I finally got it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment