Friday, June 8, 2012

The Last Night

I'm writing this last blog post from my classmate's laptop. Seven nights ago I couldn't have pictured this seen, but as we gather in this hotel room watching Family Guy and talking, I can only think about how far we've come as colleagues, and let's face it--friends.

A week ago we didn't know each other, young journalists from across the country with nothing else in common except SJI and a passion for our work. We had preconceived notions. We had our fears about what this week would be and how we would come out in the end.

As I look across at my classmates laughing and sharing our stories from the week, I realize that we're all going to be just fine. 

It doesn't matter what the future holds for us. Internships will be hard. The haters will come out like they always do, and sometimes we'll struggle. I find comfort in that I'll always have my SJI brothers and sisters  to depend on. We share a bond after these short, yet eventful days. We'll laugh when remembering Mr. Carter's crazy quotes.

"Season on the brink!"

We'll remember Greg Lee's stat filled sports checks and the occasional swear from Sandy Rosenbush when whenever we weren't moving fast enough to an appointment. I don't mean to steal his thunder, but I have to echo Nick Creegan when I say that joining the 2012 SJI Class was the best decision of my life. My college, my colleagues, and my new family has invested so much in me. I only hope I can make them and myself proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment